It is currently Jan 16th, '18, 11:40

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I created Storage Auction Boards
PostPosted: Nov 7th, '10, 15:47 

A few years ago my step-father purchased a small storage locker at auction for $20. Among the contents was a civil war belt buckle that seemed to be in excellent condition. Sure that it was a reproduction, he took it to a few distinguished dealers in civil war memorobilia, all of whom confirmed it was indeed an original civil war-era Confederate States of America belt buckle, in like-new condition. One of them offered him $5000 on the spot for it, to which he declined.

My step-father had been an auction hound for years, however, this was by and large his best find ever. Although equally shocked by his discovery, I didn't take an interest in Storage Unit Lien Auctions at that time. I was employed full-time and most of the auctions took place Monday through Friday, during the normal work week. It wasn't until last year (2009) that I began researching and attending these events.

Since that time I've attended around five hundred auctions and have purchased a few dozen units. I should give a "shout out" to Glendon Cameron's blog at UrbanPackRat.com, as his stories really got me off the couch and out to the auctions. I currently work-from-home in an IT consulting role and spend my extra time researching Real Estate investments, the US markets and attending storage auctions.

Although some have made businesses purely from purchasing items at storage auctions, I consider it a treasure hunt that makes a fun hobby and can produce side-income. With the multiple upcoming television shows about storage auctions, I expect there may increased interest in the subject and decided to put up a discussion forum to fill an early void.

I hope to attract forum members who are interested newcomers and veterans alike. Please shoot me a pm on the forum if you have any questions or comments.