It is currently Dec 15th, '17, 06:22

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The rush for stuff: Demand for storage auctions grows...
PostPosted: Feb 7th, '11, 01:14 

The rush for stuff: Demand for storage auctions grows as bidders hope to turn clutter into eBay profit...

Quote:
I feel a strange sense of curiosity rifling through flimsy cardboard boxes in my basement, packed with personal treasures that are not my own. Each box is another puzzle piece to the former owner’s hazy identity.

The family is religious; that much is clear from the collection of hard-covered Spanish Bibles and the white, musty christening gown, wrinkled by who-knows-how-long of sitting in a cold Toronto storage unit. Hundreds of crisp business cards, lined neatly in their package, attribute the mother as a restaurant owner. By the look of family Christmas photos, she is happily married with two young children. A faded postcard from Australia, dated 1955, sits among piles of bills, but the topper is a smart-looking miniature couple crafted for the top of a tiered cake, crammed in a box aptly labelled in permanent marker: “Wedding.”

[More at link...]

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01/22 ... ay-profit/