It is currently Dec 15th, '17, 06:25

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KHOU Article on Storage Unit Auctions in Houston, Texas
PostPosted: Dec 20th, '10, 17:12 

Cashing in: Dozens of delinquent storage units auctioned to highest bidder

Quote:
HOUSTON- Treasure-seekers flocked to a southwest Houston storage business Tuesday for a storage unit auction.

Budget Storage, located in the 12500 block of S. Dairy Ashford, has 350 units, and a record number of renters – 58 in all – were behind on their payments.

So the business held a storage auction to get rid of the unwanted stuff.

It seems the economy and cable shows like "American Pickers" and "Storage Wars" are adding to the popularity of this type of auction.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Dozens-o ... 75599.html

Post subject: Re: KHOU Article on Storage Unit Auctions in Houston, Texas
PostPosted: Feb 18th, '11, 08:37 

I actually went to this auction and ended up leaving in the middle of it. This facility apparently hasn't had an auction in over 5 years. If I recall correctly, they actually had like 68 units for sale on the day of the auction. There were well over a hundred people in attendance. What stuck me as unusual was that almost every unit was complete trash, I have never seen so many pieces of furniture from the 80's in my life, it was like I went back in time. Not that you can't see units like this elsewhere but I found it strange that there would be so many units in a row containing old broken furniture and dusty clothing. Out of the 26 units I viewed before I left, I don't think I saw one unit with furniture or electronics made later than 1995. I had to leave, I watched too many people pay way to much for the opportunity to haul someones trash to the dump.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '11, 00:00 

Wow, great to hear feedback from someone who attended one of the auctions mentioned in the news. I'm curious, did they cut the locks that day in front of everyone, or were they already cut and ready to open when you arrived?

PostPosted: Apr 27th, '11, 18:23 

They had the first few cut, then someone was cutting locks a few units ahead of the crowd. There were so many people there that the registration process took over an hour and a half. What was even worse was that if you bought a unit early on, you had to wait hours in order to pay for the unit.

I just noticed that you have the video for it posted. When the video comes up, before you hit play, look to your very right. That's me with the sunglasses on my head.