It is currently Jan 20th, '18, 05:00

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

In your opinion, which of the following best describes the show Storage Wars?
The units are staged; it's not likely to find so many valuable items in a short period of time. 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
The show is legit; it's possible that so many units store high-value items. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I'm not sure or don't have an opinion. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: What do you think of Storage Wars?
PostPosted: Feb 7th, '11, 01:22 

I have to say, after watching much of the past season of Storage Wars on A&E channel, I am quite sceptical of the validity of their "finds". I have never before heard of a group of people finding such incredibly high-value items at the same storage auction locations, time after time.

Some of the "finds" shown on this show would qualify as "The Find of a Lifetime" for regulars I know who have been in this business for 10 years or more.

Please vote and let us know what you think.

Post subject: Re: What do you think of Storage Wars?
PostPosted: Feb 9th, '11, 14:10 

i dont know i went to one outside venice beach and spent like 400 bucks on a unit and it was Full of furniture, way more than enough for my house, i made my money back on the spare stuff alone, who knows what i would have gotten out of all of it, but ben trying out storageunitauctionlist.com to find the auctions and its worked great but i think im getting addicted!

Post subject: Re: What do you think of Storage Wars?
PostPosted: Feb 18th, '11, 10:03 

Let's face it, the storage auction game has changed & it could be permanent. Never before have I seen the influx of new buyers attending storage auctions like now. The prices of storage units up for sale have definitely doubled if not tripled in cost in a matter of months. This hysteria was caused by the popularity of the new television shows Storage Wars & Auction Hunters.

Although entertaining, these shows depict the "average Joe" coming across amazing treasures in almost every episode. Given, you can come across some wonderful & valuable items in storage lockers, it just doesn't happen quite as often as you would like. Most storage lockers contain household items, furniture, clothing or sometimes the remnants of a failed business. Every now and then, most of the time by accident, you come across a storage unit that makes up for the "dumpster unit" you bought the week before.

Some people will tell you that others don't store valuables in a storage unit, but I have personally bought units that contained rifles, shotguns, pistols, mint proof sets, tools, stamp collections, coin collections, sports card collections, motorcycles, high end appliances, over 5K in new Gucci & Versace shoes, luxurious furniture & antiques. What really got me hooked was the third unit I ever bought contained a classic guitar & a safe which contained gold, silver, cash, WWII & Civil War memorabilia, an antique revolver and an antique pocket watch collection. There was no looking back from that point on.

In a 6 month period I personally purchased over 100 storage units at auction. I usually set a maximum amount that I would spend based on what I could see in the unit. My philosophy was that If I bid on what I could see and I didn't go over my budget, everything that I couldn't see was pure profit. Very rarely did this strategy let me down. Ever since the television shows Storage Wars and Auction Hunters premiered, it has become more & more difficult to purchase a storage unit at a price that I could still turn a profit on.

In January, a month after the shows premiered, I remember thinking about the hundred or so other professional storage auction buyers that I saw every week. Most of these people that attend storage auctions have resale shops or flea market booths to move their merchandise. These people have built their life around these auctions and depend on them to make ends meet. They are the people who are truly suffering from the aftermath of the reality shows. These people are just like you and I, they have mortgages, car payments, bills and other expenses. I think most will admit that it has become difficult to make ends meet & that the storage auction business has changed, forever.