It is currently Jan 21st, '18, 00:40

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost in Storage - Service for returning personal items.
PostPosted: Nov 15th, '10, 02:21 

I came across an interesting site tonight. LostInStorage.com was created to allow storage auction bidders to return personal items of value to the original owners.

http://lostinstorage.com

Post subject: Re: Lost in Storage - Service for returning personal items.
PostPosted: Feb 9th, '11, 14:24 

you could also try

[ LINK REMOVED ]

[MOD NOTE: Amanda, you are just spamming the site and your response and link have nothing to do with the subject matter at hand in this thread. If you contribute information of value to the community, I will allow you to post some links from time to time.]

they charge a fee, the amount of which depends on the size of the list you're interested in, but it takes all of the research and guess work out of attending storage unit auctions.

Hope this helps!

Amelia Blankenship
Santa Cruz, CA
amelia.blankenship@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Feb 18th, '11, 10:48 

Although this is an interesting concept, I think time is money and it sounds like a lot of effort to try to return the items to someone who most likely will never find the website in the first place.

If I come across certain items like medical records, financial records, family photos, picture albums, personal identification documents, letters, keepsakes, diplomas, etc., I usually will either drop them off to the manager or place them in a box and leave them in the storage unit. I prefer to have the facility manager attempt to make contact with the delinquent tenant because they have all of that tenant's contact information & it is safer than trying to make contact yourself. Most of the time, the reason the facilities are unable to contact the tenant is because the tenant is avoiding them. They don't want to speak to another person trying to collect money.

Even if their address or phone number has changed, usually, their email address is still good. If the manager sends the tenant an email letting them know that they can come pick up their personal items, most will take advantage of it.

* Advice - I realize that most of you feel that returning these items is the right thing to do, and, in most cases, it is. What ever you decide to do, whether it be to use one of these websites or attempt to make contact with the tenant, do not make the mistake of giving out your real name, address or phone number. If you must call them, do it from an unlisted number. You never know who will go to extremes to recover their property, its just not worth the risk.

I had to learn this lesson the hard way. A storage manager contacted me and asked me if I would be willing to return a tenants personal items to them. Being a new buyer at the time, I was cooperative, but, I removed the contents of the unit before making contact with them. I contacted the tenant and asked them what items they would like returned. They gave me a sob story about how their mother in law was in the hospital and that the unit had all of her keepsakes in it and how their mentally handicapped brother had all of his personal items in the unit as well. I asked them to make a list of all of the items the would like returned.

A few days later they called and started reading items off their list. Apparently, they didn't realize that I now legally owned their property. They wanted me to give them furniture, DVD's, video game systems and ironically, they never requested the hundreds of photos that were in the unit. When I told them that I would only be leaving the photos, that is when the death threats began. This went on for days.

Although most people who contact the storage manager attempting to retrieve their personal items are legitimately trying to get important paper work & pictures, be careful, remember the old saying "No good deed goes unpunished".

I hope this has been helpfull.

PostPosted: Mar 12th, '11, 02:33 

Holy crap man...death threats...damn. When I go to the auctions, I sign-in using a PO Box and a Google phone number. I'm can be easily reached but not easily found. I have heard a few other horror stories, like storage facility managers accidentally handing out your personal info and then bidders having people show up at their home.

The character of the people you dealt with is pretty damn clear...so they were after the video games and furniture and didn't say a thing about the family photos. I think I would react to death threats with more anger than fear...probably would have said some nasty stuff to them and invited them to try something if they felt they had the intestinal fortitude.

Did you ever get the police involved or otherwise have closure?